HOW TO BUILD A HOMEMADE HDTV ANTENNA

March 26, 2010

I have been looking for the best TV antenna ever since I bought my new house, but they all were quite expensive. I was looking for something that would go long range so that I could catch as many stations as possible.

As I searched around the internet. I came across a video of a guy making a homemade HDTV antenna using coat hangers and a piece of wood.

After watching this video, I was very intrigued, and I was hoping that I could find someone who had created this thing that lives near my hometown. So I went to Google and put in a search and found John Kulp’s Blog who is actually in the same city as I am.

To my surprise, he decided to take this HD antenna a step further by following the Gray-Hoverman Design that he found on the internet. Based off of these plans and his picture, I was able to create this thing for myself.

This antenna KILLS the price of the other antennas that I was looking at because all it costs you is:

1. 10 Feet of Copper Wire
2. 6 Washers
3. 6 Wood screws
4. 2-3 foot piece of Wood
5. 1 Balum or Transformer
6. Something that can cut the Wire
7. Drill / Screwdriver
8. Tape Measure
9. Sharpie

You probably have most of these items lying around your house except maybe the Transformer (~$2) and 10 Feet of Copper Wire (~$10).

With this antenna, I am able to VERY CLEARLY pick up ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CW, LPB 1, 2 & 3, and a few other channels. Sure beats paying the cable company ~$20 a month!

Here are the schematics that I was going off of in the video:

If you want to check out more of my videos, go to my Main Channel and if you like, please Subscribe!

I’m also a daily vlogger at my Vlogging Channel if you want to watch a video every day from me!

You Might Also Like

120 Comments

• Reply joe July 17, 2010 at 4:27 PM

whats the gauge of the wire

• Reply lanevids July 17, 2010 at 9:46 PM

If I remember correctly, I believe that it was 12 gauge. Although any gauge will work i think! Just make sure that it’s solid copper wire

• Reply Rich August 29, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Getting great signal to towers 60+ miles away with the antenna on ground level can’t wait to put into the attic Thanks!!!

• Reply lanevids August 29, 2010 at 8:39 PM

You’re welcome! Thank you for watching my video, I’m glad that it helped you out. If you want to help me out, please subscribe to my YouTube channel at http://youtube.com/LaneVid

Lane

• Reply Anonymous August 30, 2010 at 4:49 AM

I am really eager to get a automatic lawn mower, but I am not sure wether to get a Robomow or a Wiper Blitz. What do you guys recommend? or what are the main differences? For me it would be really important, that it is easy and fast to setup.

• Reply lanevids August 30, 2010 at 4:16 PM

From experience I can tell you that the RoboMow takes a couple of hours to setup because you have to bury the perimeter wire all the way around your house so that it knows where it’s going. Also it uses Lead Acid Batteries, and you have to replace them about every 2 years or so.

I have never heard of the Wiper Blitz until you posted this comment. I looked into it, and it seems that you do not need a perimeter wire, which is very nice, and it uses Li-Ion batteries, which should last a lot longer than the lead acid batteries.

also I noticed that the Wiper Blitz has 4 wheels as opposed to RoboMow’s two wheels. This looks like it would help to prevent the bot from getting stuck in the yard. I have a few videos online where my robomow will get stuck in the yard and I have to give it a little push to get it over whatever is blocking it. What is weird though is when it gets stuck on nothing.

Also, the Wiper Blitz can take a 27 degree angle while the RoboMow can only take a 15 degree angle. I have a ditch in my front yard, and it gets stuck every time due to this ditch. I will let you know that I am pretty much giving up on my RoboMow and I am hiring a lawn service to cut my yard. I would love to try out a Wiper Blitz, but the problem I have is it doesn’t pull my weeds :)

I didn’t see a price anywhere for the Wiper Blitz, but I did find my RoboMow on ebay for about $1200.00.

Hope this helps!

Lane

• Reply NEW Apple TV & iOS 4.2 vs. Boxee Box vs. Roku | LaneVids - The iPhone App Show (Best iPhone App Reviews) September 1, 2010 at 6:48 PM

[…] Plus I don’t see the point in renting TV Shows for .99 cents when you can get it all for free over an antenna, which I can show you how to build for about $20. […]

• Reply James Hudson January 28, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Thanks for the video. Would this antenna also pull in analog channels? I have not yet upgraded to a digital tv, but I would love to cut the satellite bill from my budget.

• Reply lanevids February 5, 2011 at 7:20 PM

If I remember correctly, you would need one of those digital converter boxes.

• Reply Ryan April 21, 2011 at 4:41 AM

Hello,

I would like to ask if it’s possible to custom built your balum/transformer?
    It’s because I hvn’t been able to find it (amazon,ebay,etc) in my country (UK).

What I found here is a: cable for aerial cable extension, male/female adaptor and a female output. Now what I do is to cut the cable in two small part, strip and twisted it together so that it looks like a “Y” character”. Then connect that cable to the female output head.
    <<< this is my theory. I wonder if it will works in this case. (cause normally it work when I connect from my indoor aerial to my Freeview TV)?
    Or should I open up my aerial to take it's transformer?

• Reply Eddie July 27, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Do you know of a way to use an old compact satellite dish [Dish TV type] to receive the new broadcast TV’s digital signals?

• Reply Anonymous August 4, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Hi how about converting the schematics from mm to inchs that would help much none of my type measures have mm..Good job on the video keep it up!!!!!

• Reply Rick August 4, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Hi could you convert your schematics from mm to inches that would really help all of my type measure are in inches. your videos are great keep up the good work :)

RJ

• Reply Eddie August 7, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Is there anyway to convert a compact satellite dish into a HD Broadcast TV antenna?

• Reply lanevids August 7, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Sorry, Not that I know of.

• Reply Mike August 27, 2011 at 10:28 AM

WOW awesome
    I just made an antenna just like the first video and now I have more channel than ever before ,I live in Canada and got 15 American channels : ) thank you .

• Reply Larry September 22, 2011 at 5:39 PM

The bigger the wire gauge the wider the frequency bandwidth is going to be. Just a bit of information for everyone.

• Reply Dave December 10, 2011 at 4:45 AM

could you us a reflector to improve the signal to provide better channel recipient

• Reply ngoisaomo February 7, 2012 at 10:32 PM

[..YouTube..] found 80 channels!!! missing channel 7, 9, and some vietnamese channels i was able to see before w/ regular tv, using the hdtv box…. =/

• Reply Douverwynn February 8, 2012 at 9:55 AM

[..YouTube..] Hopefully not a stupid question but when aiming the antenna is the reflector always in the back to where you are pointing?

• Reply hailherrosner February 8, 2012 at 4:51 PM

[..YouTube..] Yes the reflector is always to the back of the antennas that are pointing to a certain direction, you can use disposable Aluminum Grill Toppers sold at Walmart, you will need 4 of them and screw them to the back of the two sets of antennas, they work fantastically and are cheap!! Soo, the antennas are at the two ends and 2 grill toppers are at each end as well, (ie… 2 grill toppers per each side of antenna), they work just as well as wire mesh or chicken wire, and are less sharp!!

• Reply RevProsCons February 10, 2012 at 4:52 AM

[..YouTube..] Very usefull for me..thank

• Reply speedmaster098 February 15, 2012 at 6:14 AM

[..YouTube..] awsome! works never thought i can do anything with these pieces of jumk then bam

• Reply LordDeathspit February 20, 2012 at 11:09 PM

[..YouTube..] Because i got some bills to pay i needed something to hold me over till i got the money for a good antenna and i got to say this antenna delivered. Cost me about 6 bucks to throw together and i wasn’t even very strict about spacings and lengths of the wires.. I basically watched the video, eyeballed everything ,copied the design and i got over 30 channels. The most i ever got with rabbit ears was 16. Thanks to uploader. It works real good. Epecially i live in kind of a dead zone for signal.

• Reply sassyface1943ho March 4, 2012 at 12:09 PM

[..YouTube..] this works good i get CBC almost perfect

• Reply sassyface1943ho March 4, 2012 at 12:09 PM

this works good i get CBC almost perfect

• Reply amazingdany March 12, 2012 at 1:51 AM

[..YouTube..] Hello Mrs. Palin!

• Reply amazingdany March 12, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Hello Mrs. Palin!

• Reply DollarMenuProduction March 12, 2012 at 12:37 PM

[..YouTube..] Thumbs up if yours works too!

• Reply DollarMenuProduction March 12, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Thumbs up if yours works too!

• Reply j3rryville March 18, 2012 at 3:07 PM

[..YouTube..] could this be also used as an analog tv antenna? :s

• Reply j3rryville March 18, 2012 at 3:07 PM

could this be also used as an analog tv antenna? :s

• Reply memo7929 March 21, 2012 at 5:30 PM

[..YouTube..] It works !!!!

• Reply memo7929 March 21, 2012 at 5:30 PM

It works !!!!

• Reply Headshothorror4488 March 21, 2012 at 9:08 PM

[..YouTube..] What if u only have basic cable but hd tv ? Free channels ?

• Reply Headshothorror4488 March 21, 2012 at 9:08 PM

What if u only have basic cable but hd tv ? Free channels ?

• Reply emcsolutions March 25, 2012 at 11:50 PM

[..YouTube..] Thus this works in Asian Regions.. Like Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Philippines..? Anyone here try this from this regions.. Thank you!

• Reply emcsolutions March 25, 2012 at 11:50 PM

• Reply sangwa emeric March 31, 2012 at 1:28 PM

[..YouTube..] is it ueds for over the world

• Reply sangwa emeric March 31, 2012 at 1:28 PM

is it ueds for over the world

• Reply Cruzanrx8 April 1, 2012 at 10:09 AM

[..YouTube..] I actually went out a bought an hd antenna a while ago…the flat panel type….we…it sucked…I blew $30 on that crap. I built this one the other night, had all the parts within arms reach…took 30mins and done. Picked up more channels then the WorstBuys kind. Tks great video.

• Reply Cruzanrx8 April 1, 2012 at 10:09 AM

• Reply emcsolutions April 1, 2012 at 9:56 PM

[..YouTube..] I just build this one. but failed badly.. i have troubles in reaching channels.. we leave in an isolated place.. I just pick up 2 channels and 1 channel is clear but the other one not viewable! i’m leaving here in the philippines.. anyone has the suggetions..?

• Reply emcsolutions April 1, 2012 at 9:56 PM

• Reply ABunchOfCrazyStuff April 2, 2012 at 1:13 PM

[..YouTube..] I had a bunch of old plastic hangers laying around. First the hangers cracked when I tried to bend them. I found if you heat the plastic up it will bend without breaking. I found it was shinny already so I didn’t clean the plastic off.I hooked this thing up and I was picking up stations from the other side of the country! Amazing how well plastic hangers work for an antenna! :)

• Reply ABunchOfCrazyStuff April 2, 2012 at 1:13 PM

• Reply amazingdany April 3, 2012 at 2:33 PM

[..YouTube..] WorstBuy… Bwahaha! I gotta use that!

• Reply amazingdany April 3, 2012 at 2:33 PM

WorstBuy… Bwahaha! I gotta use that!

• Reply PPCLOCK April 9, 2012 at 8:39 PM

[..YouTube..] I just built one. .. and my dollar store antenna works better.

• Reply PPCLOCK April 9, 2012 at 8:39 PM

I just built one. .. and my dollar store antenna works better.

• Reply cecilflows May 1, 2012 at 11:58 PM

[..YouTube..] Just made mine and works like a charm was wondering if made on a larger scale it would pick up more channels

• Reply cecilflows May 1, 2012 at 11:58 PM

• Reply jumbosilverette May 2, 2012 at 5:43 AM

[..YouTube..] I made this last night, and all I can say is WOW! What a big improvement over the store-bought multi-directional antennas I have bought and returned. Only downside is its’ appearance, but I can live with that. So thanks for putting this all together.

• Reply jumbosilverette May 2, 2012 at 5:43 AM

• Reply Connie Kurtley May 4, 2012 at 2:34 PM

[..YouTube..] Thanks for sharing this.I’m so darn tired of paying for Cable.It starts out cheap and then continues to go up’N’up..grrrrrrrrrr

• Reply Connie Kurtley May 4, 2012 at 2:34 PM

• Reply BettySue777 May 8, 2012 at 9:44 PM

[..YouTube..] I made it! Works great.

• Reply BettySue777 May 8, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I made it! Works great.

• Reply MYM45ONTUBE May 8, 2012 at 11:12 PM

[..YouTube..] Just finished making mine! It works as good as my 150$ roof antenna

• Reply MYM45ONTUBE May 8, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Just finished making mine! It works as good as my 150$ roof antenna

• Reply RandomArtistry May 8, 2012 at 11:32 PM

[..YouTube..] Mine works, props.

• Reply RandomArtistry May 8, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Mine works, props.

• Reply alucidlife4me May 9, 2012 at 12:24 AM

[..YouTube..] This works great! Thank you for posting this.

• Reply alucidlife4me May 9, 2012 at 12:24 AM

This works great! Thank you for posting this.

• Reply scrivet01 May 10, 2012 at 10:19 PM

[..YouTube..] It looks okay to me but if that puts anyone off they should camouflage it. Get a big Japanese lantern and stick it inside hanging where ever it gets best reception. LOL, your friends will think you caught creativity somewhere.

• Reply scrivet01 May 10, 2012 at 10:19 PM

• Reply snownoise May 13, 2012 at 10:07 AM

[..YouTube..] I want to try this but before I start collecting the materials, I would like to know if it only works in big cities since the big city gets more air waves. Does anyone try this in a small country town?

• Reply snownoise May 13, 2012 at 10:07 AM

• Reply thetruebrit85 May 15, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Took me hours to build one of these & hey presto I’m now receiving channels from all over the states it’s a clean crisp picture always the only bad channel is watching mork & mindy it’s probably because it’s a terrestrial channel….now my friends all want one…..:)

• Reply asifkan2 May 20, 2012 at 5:56 AM

Hey buddy i have a normal antena at home but i dont get any reception at all .what do i do to get reception plz help

• Reply Conseaguila May 23, 2012 at 5:15 AM

Thanks for the ingenious posting. Would placing six sets of wires instead of four improve its ability to receive signals?

• Reply captainmcduche May 25, 2012 at 10:55 PM

anybody know the measurements of the wood screws,washers? like what size i should get thanks.

• Reply krimsontide2009 May 27, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Just built mine. Cost was $12 in materials and works much better than the $30 RCA (flatbed which has to be plugged into a power outlet). Now I can cut the cable! Thanks for posting

• Reply oldbphsftw May 29, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I don’t have an HDTV, so I’ll need a converter box to hook this up to my CRT.

• Reply 69Bazan May 29, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Whats the spacing between 5 3/4 and ?

• Reply digidude1994 May 30, 2012 at 12:41 PM

He forgot to separate the center where they cross over, makes a difference.

• Reply elbow667dlee20 June 1, 2012 at 2:53 PM

this is a neat project, unfortunately for me it didn’t work better than my 25 year old rabbit ears! So while I felt it was a fun project, I was really hoping to get rid of artifacts and drop outs that I was experiencing; no such luck here.

• Reply ronrommag June 1, 2012 at 10:40 PM

A lot of it depends on where u live also if u live and where your antenatal towers are

• Reply OleIrishReb June 5, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I made one of these and it just didnt work for our tv. It’s HD and all but I’ve built it and rebuilt it but no channels are coming in. Do you need a different type when living in the rural area of the city? 30 miles or so from town.

• Reply lzbin80 June 11, 2012 at 5:17 PM

This home made atenna is 100x better than a stick! In a sandwich floor indoor can receive very good signal 20km away from a TV transmitter. Not only cloth hanger, any shinny clean conductive wire can do the trick, even straightening the wires bearly by hand!

• Reply TeeRod214 June 11, 2012 at 9:02 PM

what center? the two hangers touching? thanx.

• Reply TeeRod214 June 11, 2012 at 9:04 PM

The UHF/VHF transformer now costs $8 at radio shack. Bastards know what we’re doing! lol

• Reply TeeRod214 June 11, 2012 at 9:15 PM

The wood screws I use are #12 3/4”. Hope this helps :)

• Reply boxer619ssd1 June 13, 2012 at 10:41 PM

you can always connect it manually

• Reply amazingdany June 29, 2012 at 11:52 PM

I made some tests and four v branches are enough on my antenna to get the same signal and channels as eight.

• Reply amazingdany June 29, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Two for one dollar at my local dollar store! :)

• Reply freelance52 June 30, 2012 at 7:09 AM

It ‘s panel antenna in UHF Band V here in Italy we use it for 40 years are decent but the logarithmic it’s are better and much less about € 15. However, good fun, for you Americans accustomed to the NTSC, the transmission seems to HD looks great but changes little compared to the PAL.

• Reply TeeRod214 July 1, 2012 at 6:05 PM

awwwww sux for me! lol

• Reply FNP3 July 5, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Did you do a channel scan? Your TV’s manual should have the instructions.

• Reply OleIrishReb July 5, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Yes, I did a channel scan and there were areas that you could tell a channel was at but it was still all snow and the scan would not pick up those or any other channels at all. I dont think it is the antennas problem as I’ve checked and checked again if everything is made correctly. I will try it on another tv to see if it’s just something to do with the first tv. Thanks for commenting and trying to help.

• Reply FNP3 July 5, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Hard to know what could be wrong unless it’s your location. Trees, mountains, buildings in the way? I’ve had two of these antennas up and running for over two years with great results.

• Reply lexan2002 July 8, 2012 at 10:00 PM

do all the measurements and the distance to the cross overs matter? i made one tonight and my tv went from snow to lots of lines but no stations, after a channel scan. We are on the side of a hill next to a main road and some short buildings. It’s a house that was converted to an apartment building with lots of drywall and studs, who knows ow much brick and i have no idea where the closest relay station is, any tips?

• Reply Emmadril July 13, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Can this be done without the balun?

• Reply cc9z July 16, 2012 at 7:55 PM

i am fifty mile from the transmitter will i still get the channels

• Reply pulchritudinous77 July 21, 2012 at 2:10 AM

You are correct! The 2 signals must be seperated by some sort of insulation. I used electrical tape. He did not mention this.

• Reply bigbore400 July 21, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Where exactly on this antenna do you put the electricl tape?

• Reply graftonreed July 21, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Works Great! Modified this design with a pair of rabbit ears from ebay ($1.99) and a uhf/vhf combiner ($2.19) then an inline FM trap from Radio Shack and I get 40 Channels in the Austin/San Antonio area. I hooked my antenna to my iMac dual screen using Elgato EyeTV and can record shows, fast forward/reverse live shows. I watch it on my 27″ dual screen or send via Airplay/WiFi to my Apple TV and watch on my 65″ Samsung. (continued-see next comment)

• Reply graftonreed July 21, 2012 at 9:30 AM

(continued from last comment) I use Romote Pro from my iPhone to control channel selections via WiFi. 1080p HDTV for free. Who needs cable! I supplement my “free” air channels with a $7.99 a month subscription to Hulu Plus. No more $70 monthly cable TV bills. All you’ll ever need.

• Reply jeco01302011 July 21, 2012 at 12:45 PM

what are other alternatives for the hangers?

• Reply pulchritudinous77 July 21, 2012 at 10:39 PM

u need tape where the 2 main lines cross each other. this should isolate the signals

• Reply ccnoise July 22, 2012 at 12:33 AM

I had some extra sheathed 12-gauge wire hanging around and used that instead of hangars for the connecting runs. Just spliced out openings in the sheathing to make contact with the hangers and the baluns connectors. Electrical tape only needed for the baluns connection Works great!!

• Reply icyhotonmynuts July 24, 2012 at 7:56 AM

How about, instead of throwing it away, you return it to the store where you bought it and get your money back. Better yet, don’t contribute to consumer wastefulness, and strip that antenna down for parts for a next project.

• Reply icyhotonmynuts July 24, 2012 at 7:59 AM

You have that backwards. You can’t fast forward a live show, only rewind, then put it back to where it last up-to-the-second aired.

• Reply icyhotonmynuts July 24, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Get a longer coaxial cable and mount that stud to the outside of your house, or roof?

• Reply graftonreed July 24, 2012 at 11:35 PM

@iicecubesforballs The comma at the end of your comment “house, or roof?” is superfluous and not needed. Pick up a copy of Stunk & White’s Elements of Style. If I want anymore shit out of you, I’ll squeeze your head.

• Reply 3353ianmd July 25, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Plastic is a insulator not a conductor so, your either stupid, or?

• Reply MedKCM July 28, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I don’t understand what a balun is, hom to buy it?

• Reply pisswilley1 July 30, 2012 at 11:36 AM

it’s a matching transformer

• Reply moopster2008 July 31, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I built this antenna with one slight modification. When I fastened down the top bow tie (or the top 2 Vs), I added a pair of straightened out coat hangers to make a set of rabbit ears. I put this antenna on my front porch and it picks up all the channels that I was getting on a store bought indoor antenna PLUS the two I was missing – which are the ABC and NBC that are broadcast by one station on VHF. I live near Beaumont, Texas and at night, I also get several Houston stations for a time!!

• Reply jarmin777 August 2, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I’ve tried but doesn’t work! I think I’ve just wasted of my time. If homemade antenna can work better than those being sold in stores, why else would people buy them. This guy is an idiot!

• Reply beamoburbank August 3, 2012 at 1:01 PM

@jarmin777–perhaps the reason it isn’t working is that babblin5 forgot to mention that you must insulate between those two vertical wires, where they cross–I learned that from watching other vids on this subject. (Oh yes, BOTH places where they cross)

• Reply doverNHUSA August 5, 2012 at 5:42 AM

The whole point is that this is free with things you can find at home. Not sure it works and I have no metal hangars. My question is, can you splice into a boat antenna?

• Reply jjm12301944 August 7, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I built. One of these antennas. This thing is awesome Thank you for shareing.

• Reply jjm12301944 August 7, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I forgot to mention that I used galvanized mechanics wire its easy to get and cheep, so make one for a friend,I drilled a hole through the wood and ran the cross overs through the holes use long screws or nut and screws drill holes at center for baling because there will be one long center wire on each side of wood now the distance between these two wires now might be why the one I built works so well

• Reply Jeferson11943 August 10, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Can you get discovery channel

• Reply nolan t. August 10, 2012 at 10:49 PM

that’s nice

• Reply Eddie Bowman August 14, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Dude this is awesome, It really works. even better than the one I bought at store. Real easy to assemble. Thanks Dude

• Reply 7UGillian881 August 14, 2012 at 3:27 AM

genius.

• Reply darris321 August 14, 2012 at 5:11 PM

For everyone who doesn’t know what a balun is:A balun converts the 300 ohm antenna to the 75 ohm tv. Balun stands for balanced/unbalanced transformer. At RadioShack they are called 75/300 ohm matching transformers

• Reply How to make your own HDTV antenna at home! - Crazy for a Deal April 12, 2013 at 7:30 AM

[…] Once I decided that I wanted an antenna I went to Best Buy and bought one. I was disappointed to just find 3 channels show up with my set top $50 (on clearance) antenna. A few weeks later we tried another antenna with similar results and also returned it. I had pretty much decided to just deal with the lack of TV until I saw a post on facebook about a homemade HDTV antenna. […]