Small Business Loans Equipment Financing SBA Loans best business loans Big Lines of Credit Long Term Loans Merchant Cash Advances Short Term Loads Working Capitalbusiness loans

HOW TO BUILD A HOMEMADE HDTV ANTENNA

March 26, 2010

I have been looking for the best TV antenna ever since I bought my new house, but they all were quite expensive. I was looking for something that would go long range so that I could catch as many stations as possible.

As I searched around the internet. I came across a video of a guy making a homemade HDTV antenna using coat hangers and a piece of wood.

After watching this video, I was very intrigued, and I was hoping that I could find someone who had created this thing that lives near my hometown. So I went to Google and put in a search and found John Kulp’s Blog who is actually in the same city as I am.

To my surprise, he decided to take this HD antenna a step further by following the Gray-Hoverman Design that he found on the internet. Based off of these plans and his picture, I was able to create this thing for myself.

This antenna KILLS the price of the other antennas that I was looking at because all it costs you is:

1. 10 Feet of Copper Wire
2. 6 Washers
3. 6 Wood screws
4. 2-3 foot piece of Wood
5. 1 Balum or Transformer
6. Something that can cut the Wire
7. Drill / Screwdriver
8. Tape Measure
9. Sharpie

You probably have most of these items lying around your house except maybe the Transformer (~$2) and 10 Feet of Copper Wire (~$10).

With this antenna, I am able to VERY CLEARLY pick up ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CW, LPB 1, 2 & 3, and a few other channels. Sure beats paying the cable company ~$20 a month!

Here are the schematics that I was going off of in the video:

If you want to check out more of my videos, go to my Main Channel and if you like, please Subscribe!

I’m also a daily vlogger at my Vlogging Channel if you want to watch a video every day from me!

You Might Also Like

121 Comments

• Reply joe July 17, 2010 at 4:27 PM

whats the gauge of the wire

• Reply lanevids July 17, 2010 at 9:46 PM

If I remember correctly, I believe that it was 12 gauge. Although any gauge will work i think! Just make sure that it’s solid copper wire

• Reply Rich August 29, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Getting great signal to towers 60+ miles away with the antenna on ground level can’t wait to put into the attic Thanks!!!

• Reply lanevids August 29, 2010 at 8:39 PM

You’re welcome! Thank you for watching my video, I’m glad that it helped you out. If you want to help me out, please subscribe to my YouTube channel at http://youtube.com/LaneVid

Lane

• Reply Anonymous August 30, 2010 at 4:49 AM

I am really eager to get a automatic lawn mower, but I am not sure wether to get a Robomow or a Wiper Blitz. What do you guys recommend? or what are the main differences? For me it would be really important, that it is easy and fast to setup.

• Reply lanevids August 30, 2010 at 4:16 PM

From experience I can tell you that the RoboMow takes a couple of hours to setup because you have to bury the perimeter wire all the way around your house so that it knows where it’s going. Also it uses Lead Acid Batteries, and you have to replace them about every 2 years or so.

I have never heard of the Wiper Blitz until you posted this comment. I looked into it, and it seems that you do not need a perimeter wire, which is very nice, and it uses Li-Ion batteries, which should last a lot longer than the lead acid batteries.

also I noticed that the Wiper Blitz has 4 wheels as opposed to RoboMow’s two wheels. This looks like it would help to prevent the bot from getting stuck in the yard. I have a few videos online where my robomow will get stuck in the yard and I have to give it a little push to get it over whatever is blocking it. What is weird though is when it gets stuck on nothing.

Also, the Wiper Blitz can take a 27 degree angle while the RoboMow can only take a 15 degree angle. I have a ditch in my front yard, and it gets stuck every time due to this ditch. I will let you know that I am pretty much giving up on my RoboMow and I am hiring a lawn service to cut my yard. I would love to try out a Wiper Blitz, but the problem I have is it doesn’t pull my weeds 🙂 …

I didn’t see a price anywhere for the Wiper Blitz, but I did find my RoboMow on ebay for about $1200.00.

Hope this helps!

Lane

• Reply NEW Apple TV & iOS 4.2 vs. Boxee Box vs. Roku | LaneVids - The iPhone App Show (Best iPhone App Reviews) September 1, 2010 at 6:48 PM

[…] Plus I don’t see the point in renting TV Shows for .99 cents when you can get it all for free over an antenna, which I can show you how to build for about $20. […]